Listening to music is a powerful stress reducer! Music can have a profound relaxing effect on our mind and our bodies and can slow your heart rate, lower blood pressure and decrease stress hormones.
According to PsychCentral.com:
Music has been used for hundreds of years to treat illnesses and restore harmony between mind and body. But more recently, scientific studies have attempted to measure the potential benefits of music. These research studies have found:
- Music’s form and structure can bring order and security to disabled and distressed children. It encourages coordination and communication, so improves their quality of life.
- Listening to music on headphones reduces stress and anxiety in hospital patients before and after surgery.
- Music can help reduce both the sensation and distress of both chronic pain and postoperative pain.
- Listening to music can relieve depression and increase self-esteem ratings in elderly people.
- Making music can reduce burnout and improve mood among nursing students.
- Music therapy significantly reduces emotional distress and boosts quality of life among adult cancer patients.
One of the best benefits to listening to music as a stress reliever is that you can listen while performing your regular activities and doesn’t take additional time from your day! Music provides a stress-reducing factor to all that you do. Use it while working, cleaning, paying bills, cooking, eating when you drive or before bed.